Thursday, May 24, 2012

Bodyweight Workout Sessions - fightauthority.com

Bodyweight Training for MMA















Why Bodyweight Train for MMA

Bodyweight training and incorportating bodyweight training into your MMA workout routine is a perfect compliment to a MMA fighters already rigourous training schedule. The difference in bodyweight training is that you focus more on using your own body-"weight" compared to using weights or machines. Some obvious exercises are pushups, situps, dips, pullups, etc.

Personally, I think Bodyweight training should be incorporated into your workout routine, instead of replacing it. There are many routines out there that are pure bodyweight exercises, and those work. But MMA fighters need a little "something" else that increases their overall strength. These exercises may include kettlebell exercises, heavy squats and deadlifts, grip strength exercises, explosive pressing and snatching, sandbag exercises, etc.

My Bodyweight Training and Intro


Right now as I write this, I am in the middle of training for a MMA fight in April 2009. I currently weigh 245lbs and need to weigh 205lbs for April. I have been a DIEHARD advocate for very heavy lifting, focusing on 1-2 reps for strength. My specialities were heavy deadlifts and push-presses. These two exercises along with supporting exercises were the cornerstone of my routines. As I started to prepare for my fight, I knew that I couldn't lift like that anymore. For one reason, my fight is 3x 5 minute rounds. Focusing on 1-2 reps with a long rest period was just focusing on explosion, I needed to be able to "last" during my fight. So I would need to increase my reps GREATLY, along with shorten my rest period. I decided to start focusing on bodyweight exercises.

TRX Suspension Trainer...?  WTF is that?

Enter the TRX Suspension Trainer. One of my students was training to be a personal trainer, as well as getting a certification in this "TRX Suspension Traininer" system. I had never heard of it or what it did. He brought it in once during class. It's basically very heavy duty "straps" with padded handles that is then hung either over a door or wherever. When he first brought it in, being the gym-rat I was, I was EXTREMELY skeptical. Basically thinking "You're telling me that these freaking ropes are going to give me a workout... YA RIGHT". Well I ended up trying it, and was actually shocked. It was much much harder then I expected and I felt extremely uncomfortable doing it. My whole body felt "out of synch" - which is a good thing! Just when doing simple chest presses or rows, I needed to stabilize my whole body, just to complete the exercises. The strength I felt that it would give me would be more of a functional / overall strength.

After doing some more research, I found that "Athletes such as Brandon Vera, Roger Huerta, George St-Pierre and Bas Rutten utilize the TRX® Suspension Trainer™ to builds core strength, improves balance and flexibility, increases endurance and adds power to your techniques, and some other top name fighters and athletes where using this system".
I was quite surprised. I went to the website, watched all the videos, read the articles and got really, really into. Added it to my cart, and just couldn't hit to "Buy" button.. I KNEW it was worth it, just wasn't ready to go the bodyweight route. I was still a gym rat and wanted to lift heavy weights.
 

Time to Train for MMA Fight!


Fast Forward 6 months - I take my fight. I need to cut down on the heavy weights and focus on bodyweight, functional strength. I bought the TRX and it was DEFINITELY worth the investment. The first night I used it, I again was shocked. But to be honest, I was VERY bad on it. My pushups and presses were horrible and I felt so weak! And this comes from a guy who can deadlift around 600lbs, push-press around 250lb and used to (before shoulder surgery) bench over 320lbs! Now I was struggling with 15 presses! Needless to say, I was impressed, and have been continuing to work on this system. My goal for April is basically to just feel "bodyweight strong". I want a strong core, strong presses, strong pulls, etc., with excellent control. I am feeling better everytime I get on it and I am rapidly improving.

Enough with the intro, here are some routines for MMA fighters preparing for fights, or to incorpotate during your training. The workouts are done in a circuit, with VERY minimal rest. The rest should be changing stations, putting on gloves, etc. If you need to catch your breath in the beginning, do it, but push yourself and go!

Suggested Equipment


TRX Suspension Trainer
Sandbag (make yourself or buy)
Dumbell or Kettlebell
100lb Heavybag

Suggested Bodyweight Workouts


 These "sessions" or groupings of exercises that work well together. You'll notice some are a combination of exercises and striking, while others are just exercises. They should be completed without rest. Each session should take about 5-10 minutes. For a new trainer, I would do 2 sessions, for a more advanced athlete, do 3-5 sessions or groupings. You can repeat grouping as long as they are not completed back to back. You would do grouping 1, 2, then grouping 1 again.


Bodyweight Workout Sessions


TRX Pushing and Heavybag Circuit - Repeat 3x

  • TRX Pushs (Pushups, Atomic Pushups or incline pushups): x15
  • Heavy Bag (hard Punches): x50 Jabs
    TRX Pushs: x15
  • Heavy Bag (hard Punches): x40 Jab Cross
  • TRX Pushs: x15
  • Heavy Bag (hard Punches): x30 Jab Cross Hook
  • TRX Pushs: x15
  • Heavy Bag (hard Punches): x30 Jab Cross Hook Cross

(click on the link below to view samples of bodyweight workouts)
http://www.fightauthority.com/martial-arts-topics/training-your-body/bodyweight-training-for-mma/#ooid=YxMjdpOreb2aHqYKvxI6wmv7nonkucQO,AxbzhvOsW0R5jiiZvCH3r6MJOOwLRHsn

Roger Huerta Training

http://www.fightauthority.com/martial-arts-topics/training-your-body/bodyweight-training-for-mma/#wo3

No comments:

Post a Comment