Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Brazilian Get Up - My Mad Methods

Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise
If you’re a fighter looking for new training methods to take your performance to new levels, nothing beats kettlebells. Joey Alvarado, former professional MMA fighter and creator of

Combat Kettlebell Systems, continues to develop new exercises that incorporate kettlebell training into fighting movements and exercises. His latest creation: the Brazilian Get Up.

As many fighters can attest to, kettlebell training can yield fantastic results in strength, conditioning, and agility. Even more beneficial is how particular kettlebell exercises have direct applications to fighting movements. One of those kettlebell exercises is the Turkish Get Up.

If you’re unfamiliar with kettlebell training, the Turkish Get Up (TGU) is an essential exercise for building total body strength and mobility. It involves starting from a lying position with a kettlebell locked out, then performing a series of deliberate movements to end up in a standing position. There are a variety of variations to the TGU that emphasize building strength in different areas of your body, enhancing conditioning, and improving flexibility and mobility.

When I first started training with kettlebells, I was amazed at how similar the TGU was to a move in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu called “Standing Up In Base.” Standing Up In Base is the proper way to get back to your feet after an opponent has downed you. When you’ve been knocked on your back, you have three options: sweep (reversal), submit, or stand up. If your opponent has a strong base and you are unable to submit them, your final option is to stand back to your feet to strike. Mastery of Standing Up In Base is crucial for accomplishing this.

By combining the TGU with Standing Up In Base, you get a new exercise that I like to call the “Brazilian Get Up.” With the TGU, there is a focus on the negative (downward) and positive (upward) aspect of the movement. With the Brazilian Get Up, the primary focus is on the positive aspect of the movement.

Brazilian Get Up Exercise: Bodyweight Version


To get to my back, I simply perform a backwards break fall. This is performed by simply bending my knees to the rock bottom squat position, as I fall backwards, I simultaneously slap the mat with both hands to absorb the impact. Once my back touches that mat, I immediately pop up to one side with one hand covering my face and opposite hand posting on the mat. I then lift my hips off the ground, kick with leg, then pass that same leg underneath my body until my knee is on the ground. I then stand to my feet.

Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Bodyweight Version
Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Bodyweight Version

Brazilian Get Up Exercise: Application/Partner Version


In the second series of pictures, I am performing the BGU with my partner Ruben. In this drill, he pushes me to my back, I perform the same steps as above. But this time, I direct the kick with my right leg, to Rubens knees. This keeps your opponent at bay, which allows you to find a safe opportunity to get back to your feet.

Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Application and Partner Version
Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Application and Partner Version

Brazilian Get Up - Kettlebell Version


The last segment is performing the BGU with a kettlebell. First step is to Clean the kettlebell into the Rack Position. Second, perform a slow, controlled back ward breakfall. Since the kettlebell is racked in my left arm, I use the right hand to slap the mat to absorb the impact of the fall. Now the third step involves exploding back up to the sitting position as I push the kettlebell upward with my left hand. I then, raise my butt off of the ground, kick with my right leg and finish the movement the same way as a traditional TGU. Although the BGU, is very similar to the TGU, there are subtle differences. With the traditional TGU, the movement is performed relatively slow and methodical. The Brazilian Get Up is a more explosive exercise adding a higher degree of difficulty. Once you try the BGU, I am sure you will instantly see its benefits.

Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Kettlebell Version
Joey Alvarado, Kettle-Jitsu Brazilian Get Up Exercise Kettlebell Version


Contributor Information

Joey Alvarado is the owner and head trainer of Socal MMA Fitness based in East Los Angeles, California. Joey Alvarado is a former professional MMA fighter and competitive grappler, and the developer of Combat Kettlebell Systems, a unique blend of Jiu Jitsu bodyweight exercises and newly developed kettlebell exercises. Find out more at http://www.combatkettlebellsystems.com/. 



No comments:

Post a Comment